The Colonial Theatre Tea Garden

The beauty spot of downtown Richmond was, in 1921, the Tea Garden of the brand-new Colonial Theatre. Herein, we recreate the essence of elegance, joy and hauteur that was once found in Virginia's first real picture palace. Bathtub gin is available at the top of the grand ramps.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Just when you think it's safe to go back in the water... or, in this case, back in the air...

I managed to make it this far through the winter (which officially only has two weeks left to live) without an episode of the Throw-Up disease. And, blissfully I still haven't really had it. I do, however, have its close friend, the Everything Hurts Disease. Even the Throw-Up disease isn't too bad because you get to stay home and when you're not barfing, you can read and watch TV and eat lots of Jell-O. (This last is only useful if you like Jell-O.) The Everything Hurts disease does not allow you these pleasures because reading and watching TV make some part of your body hurt. You try to sleep but that hurts and you get really bored staying awake with nothing to do.

I think that this is some form of the flu. I've had a couple of little flu-like bouts earlier this year but not enough to really keep me immobilized. This one is the clincher. It's like the Sick Gods looked down from their disease-ridden thrones and said "Oh, crap, winter's almost over and we forgot to get Dan sick this time around. Let's make it a really good one to make up for lost time."
Allright, you bastards, you got me and I'm really good and sick. My freaking fingertips hurt from typing!!!!

Observations from my bed of agony (are you getting the impression that I'm a terrible patient?)

a) Daytime TV is not as amusing at 36 as it was at 9.

b) Nyquil does very strange things to your brain. It has made me hallucinate and obsess over really esoteric stuff. It doesn't necessarily put all of you to sleep, but it sure makes the common sense part of your brain take a hike for a while. This shit is better than acid and it's legal.

c) I am going to get a pet bird and name it Enza.

I had a little bird
Its name was Enza
I opened up a window
And in-flu-Enza.

--schoolyard wisdom circa 1918

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Ugh, feel better soon! It sounds like you are fever-free, at least. I've been fevered and achy at the same time, so it hurts to keep pulling the blanket up, for chills, then toss it aside in a blind sweat an hour later.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home