The Colonial Theatre Tea Garden

The beauty spot of downtown Richmond was, in 1921, the Tea Garden of the brand-new Colonial Theatre. Herein, we recreate the essence of elegance, joy and hauteur that was once found in Virginia's first real picture palace. Bathtub gin is available at the top of the grand ramps.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Don't get pissy with me, people. I just don't have the time, right now, to do a lot o' bloggin'.

I'm very happy with the new school, except for one gigantic and glaring problem: my department head is psycho. Really and truly psycho. I have never encountered such saccharine sweetness and overt hostility from the same person within an eight-hour time frame. At the same time, I'm trying to provide the best English lessons possible for an audience of students who can truly appreciate and understand my efforts.

With that, and my undying love for the dead Austrian Empire, in mind, I've been farting around with the idea of teaching English abroad. Of course, Wien is the Imperial Capital, the City Ethereal, but everybody in Wien speaks about seven languages anyway. They don't need English teachers in Wien.

They might, though, in Ungarland. Also, Hungarian dudes are way hot. So, I've been scoping the idea. Hell, I love paprika and I've always wanted to learn the csardas. What do I find? This little disclaimer that is supposed to frighten like OMG Americans who like totally don't get the Hungarian ways of education, behavior and Angul-speaking:

"One thing you may notice in Hungary when you are applying for a teaching position is that many school administrators who speak English employ a very formalized and stilted style of speech. To the ears of younger North Americans, this may sound funny, or even pretentious. But it has little to do with personal choice. Most of these people studied English from older, often outdated British textbooks. And because Hungarian itself contains highly formalized structures, many English-speaking Hungarians who do not have the chance to use their English on a day-to-day basis with native speakers of English end up sounding very formal because they seem to naturally seek out what they believe to be higher forms of English."

Naturally, the first thing I noticed was that the disclaimer itself starts a sentence with "and:" a mistake that will lose you five points immediately in my class. Clearly, the Hungarians are my kind of people. I love everything stilted and formal. If only I can get passports for the cats...

2 Comments:

Blogger Emy said...

Missed you at Homecoming - did you get my voicemail? ;-)

3:27 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Are the cats old enough for their own passports?

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home