The Colonial Theatre Tea Garden

The beauty spot of downtown Richmond was, in 1921, the Tea Garden of the brand-new Colonial Theatre. Herein, we recreate the essence of elegance, joy and hauteur that was once found in Virginia's first real picture palace. Bathtub gin is available at the top of the grand ramps.

Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Those of you who are regulars here in the basement of Kernan's Hotel know that I am morally opposed to our recent war in the giant sandbox over there, but that I am also rabidly supportive of our boys in BDU's (specifically certain redheads who shall remain nameless). Since I'm also a rabid Germanophile, the United States' efforts against Germany and Austria in 1917-18 don't sit well, although I think we had the right idea in 1941. (Pity we had to wipe out Dresden in the process, but...)

No matter what my beliefs here and yon, I wish to make my own Memorial Day observance (yes, yes, I know--REAL Memorial Day is not until Friday, but I might be working or travelling that day, so I'm doing it now on the Carter Administration Approved Day).

Much in the vein of the lady whom I lambasted a couple of days ago, I would like to don an unearned uniform and salute the men and women of the United States, the Confederate States, and those of Germany, Austria, France,Poland, Hungary and Great Britain as well, who have fought for their nations in the last two centuries. Right or wrong ceases to be an issue in their memory. They fought for their land, their people, and what they believed was right.

That is enough for me, and may the roses of honor wreath their memories forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home